Invasion Of Okinawa & Natives, 1945
US Marine Corps, 1945 (12 min. 38 sec.)
Naval Photographic Center film # 11732.
National Archives description:
1) LS Tent city out among cocoanut trees; Polynesian natives.
2) LS Native men & women walking around city streets.
3) LS Natives washing clothes in small pool (SV).
4) LS White smoke rising from beach caused by explosion.
5) LS Four LCI"s, in column, making left turn, life raft corks, FG.
6) LS LCI laying smoke screen.
7) LS LST moving slowly, camouflaged in jungle paint; LCVP"s out in water.
8) LA CU CG officer looking through binoculars.
9) LS Beach of Okinawa, LCT at anchor.
10) HA LS LCT & hundreds of LCVP"s underway (SV).
11) LS LST-484 anchored with cargo doors open, another LST anchored, BG.
12) HA LS Marines aboard LCVP, secured to ship by sea painter.
13) LS Large explosion on beach, small tanker anchored, BG.
14) LS Large explosion near water"s edge.
15) HA LS Japanese children in a boat.
16) LS Portion of amphibious task force at Okinawa.
17) HA LS Men preparing for burial at sea; covered bodies.
18) LS Five riflemen.
19) LS Spectators watching burial at sea from gun tub; 1.1 gun barrels; men stand by to put bodies over side (SV)
20) HA LS Men pick up body & slide it over side, is anchored.
21) HA LS Riflemen firing volley during burial at sea.
22) HA LS Bugler blowing taps.
23) LS Man lying on top of engine box aboard L litters; Pan, down to well deck.
24) LS Wounded Japanese prisoners walking down deck (SV).
25) LS Liberty ship at anchor, LCT, FG. (OX)
26) LS Wreckage of Okinawa, jeep moving down road.
27) LS Japanese landing boat.
28) HA MS Dead Japanese soldier lying face down in pool of water.
29) LS Same as before (SV).
30) MS PAN Several dead Japanese at edge of water.
31) MS Jeep, driven by marine; Okinawan woman & small child in seat.
32) MS Marines tending oxen.
33) LS Marines trying to get oxen moving to pull cart.
34) LS Bombed-out village.
35) MLS Wrecked buildings.
36) MS Man spraying oxen.
37) MS Cat jumps out of wreckage & runs down road.
38) LS Portion of gutted town.
39) MLS Okinawan woman dipping water with pan, which she pours over boy.
40) MS Portion of naked native women.
41) MS Native woman washing clothes; two children playing.
42) MCU Same as before.
43) HA LS Natives on town street.
44) MS Japanese man eating rice of bowl.
45) LS Native woman standing outside shanty.
46) LS Boy pulling rickshaw; people, BG.
47) MLS Native woman chopping wood, another woman walks by, FG.
48) LS Japanese frame buildings.
49) LS Streets in Japanese shanty town; women washing.
50) LS Clothes on line in front of grass hut; jungle, BG (SV).quality: poor to good"